Real Life Forrest Gump Runs World’s Hardest Marathon, After Running 15,700 Miles

Rob Pope initially made a name for himself as the man who ran 15, 700 miles dressed as Forrest Gump, and now he’s just finished ‘The Hardest Marathon In The World’… and I struggle to go the Gym every other night…

(Source: Facebook)

40 year-old Liverpool-born Rob Pope recently completed the punishing ‘Marathon Des Sables’, a 6-day marathon across the Sahara Desert (yep you heard right, this marathon takes place in one of the hottest places on Earth)! The website for the marathon warns that the desert can reach temperatures of 120 degrees Fahrenheit at midday.

no way GIF

If that doesn’t sound gruelling enough the race is across uneven, rocky ground and sand dunes, all entrants must carry all of their equipment, food and water on their backs; oh, and it is advised you bring a snake venom extraction kit.

Image result for indiana jones snakes gif

However, Rob managed to finish 14th out of 750 with a time of 22 hours and 48 minutes – I mean come on man you could have done better, that’s only the best that any British person has ever done!

(Source: Instagram)

Seriously though, it’s amazing what Rob has achieved! Rob also uses his running to raise money for WWF and Peace Direct, because yeah, he just is the best guy ever.

Image result for why are you so perfect gif

Speaking to Lad Bible Rob described his journey on the gruelling marathon….

“At some points I was coughing and my chest tightened – my heart rate shot up as I couldn’t get air into my lungs […] My chest loosened a bit but the coughing got worse and a blood clot jumped into my mouth – soon after a chunk of dry mucus and sand followed it. I genuinely begun not to fear just for the race, but also for my life as I know how suddenly things can go wrong here, having seen people airlifted to hospital from the course.”

Image result for you're insane gif

Goodness knows what drives people on to do these fantastic things, I’d do it if I had a car, a caravan, and all the time and food in the world… what? it’s basically the same thing!

“I had huge reasons to continue, with my charity goals, and as my previous entry in 2001 was cancelled due to a torn muscle. I had also made promise to my new family that I would run them race for them and do them proud.” – continued Rob.

 

(Source: Instagram)

Not only has Rob completed the ‘Marathon Des Sables’, but he’s also the first person ever to recreate the Forrest Gump run, he was Marathon Champion at the Australian Marathon Championships in 2015, and he was winner of the Liverpool Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in 2015 and 2016… Oh and in case I forgot to mention he’s also an emergency veterinarian by night… yeah, what a freakin’ slob.

(Source: Instagram)

Rob still lives in the UK, that is when he’s not making everyone else think about renewing that gym membership, with his fiancé and baby daughter. If you want to know more about Rob’s amazing journey or sponsor him and his fantastic causes check out his website at goingthedistancerun.com.

Do you think that you’ll be entering the Marathon des Sables next year? Let me know in the comments below so I can continue to feel like a slob! AAx

 

The post Real Life Forrest Gump Runs World’s Hardest Marathon, After Running 15,700 Miles appeared first on Go Social.



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.